Flood coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program

Did you know that most homeowners policies do not cover flood damage?  How do you decide if you need flood insurance?

Your home and personal property are often your largest assets. Whether your home is located in a designated flood area or not, your chance of sustaining flood damage is three times greater than having a major fire. Unfortunately, most homeowner policies specifically exclude damage caused by flood or surface water that enters your home. To protect your substantial investment, Union Mutual offers federally funded flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This insurance is available to properties that are located in communities that participate in the NFIP program. Coverage can be obtained for your building and personal property.

Your local independent insurance agent can determine if your community participates in the Federal program and determine if your property is located in a special flood hazard area. A professional agent can answer all your questions and quickly provide you with a quote for flood coverage.

Use our Agent Locator to easily find an independent agent near you.

Ready to get started? Let's find you an agent.

Start Looking

Additional Flood Insurance Resources:

For licensed agents: Download the National Flood Insurance Program’s Agent’s Guide to Selling Flood Insurance.

  • Protect your insureds
  • Learn more about calculating flood risk
  • Stay informed

For property owners: Learn more about the National Flood Insurance Program and get answers to frequently asked questions.

  • Do you know if your property is in a low, moderate or high risk flood zone?  A quick guide can be found at

Q: What is the definition of “flood,” when it comes to a covered loss?

A: The following defines a flood according to FEMA: A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of 2 or more acres of normally dry land area or of 2 or more properties (at lease 1 of which is the policyholder’s property) from:

  • Overflow of inland or tidal waters; or
  • Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source; or
  • Mudslides (i.e., mudflows) which are proximately caused by flooding and are akin to a river of liquid and flowing mud on the surfaces of normally day land areas, as when earth is carried by a current of water and deposited along the path of the current.; or
  • Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above.