Prevent damage to seasonal homes
Avoid water damage to your vacation / seasonal home by taking these easy and inexpensive precautions:
- Shut off main water supply valve when you leave, to minimize possible water damage.
- Set thermostats to a minimum of 55 degrees when you are away. Heat may not get to your home’s extremities – open cupboards and doors where pipes are isolated.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to check your house periodically while you are away. Delay in recognizing and stopping water damage can substantially increase the severity of the loss.
- Install a temperature monitor. A battery-powered monitor can notify you if the temperature in your home has fallen below a safe level.
- Having regular heating system maintenance and automatic fuel deliveries can save on fuel bills and reduce the risk of losing heat when you need it most.
- If you close your property for winter, drain the water pipes.
If you do have a loss, report it promptly to your agent. Learn more on how to report a claim by clicking here.